Fine Distinctions: Sevens
Self Preservation Sevens
• Self-Preservation Sevens are confusing since they tend to be
highly sociable and gravitate toward groups like Social Subtypes do.
They specialize in “chosen family” in that they tend to create a network
of people around them.
• They enjoy sharing on a circuit of interesting or like-minded
people. Other people are a source of information and stimulation;
interested in the latest gossip and everyone’s news.
• To the Seven, the group is a comforting barricade against the
dangers of the outside world, a bulwark against an infringing universe.
• Can be loyal, if slightly detached, friends; protective towards
those within their inner circle and good about staying in touch.
• Canny and practical, they look for the deals and the loopholes;
can enjoy bargains, sales or getting something for nothing.
• Equally well-versed in and fascinated by a large variety of subjects. May lack depth but have a breadth of knowledge.
• Tend to depersonalize, talk in abstract or intellectual terms and don’t explicitly toot their own horn.
• This subtype is associated with the cliche of the “party
animal,” compulsive socializers who want to enjoy perpetual good times.
• In NLP terms, Self-Preservation Sevens are “activity-oriented.”
Sharing activity with others is a way to make contact or to avoid
• Can use people for stimulation and drop them when they stop being exciting.
• Some fear being alone and will use others as a protection against solitude.
• More likely to have an unconscious self-image of being
abandoned, uncared for or left to their own devices. Abandon others out
of fear of being abandoned.
• Can live beyond their means and be chronically in debt; self-induced cycles of bounty and scarcity.
• Could equate being disciplined and financially successful with
being dull and stodgy. The Seven rebels by staying “free” (i.e.
irresponsible and broke).
• Intimate Sevens tend to have rich imaginations and are exceptionally creative.
• They embellish reality with fantasy; see daily life through a veil of imagination.
• Often think and communicate in stories.
• Can see intimate relationships as shared experimental adventures.
• Avid learners who are open to adventure and new experience.
• Dreamers in the best and worst sense of the word.
• Intimate Sevens tend to be suggestible and can be swayed in their positions and opinions.
spotters who seek the new with the enthusiasm of a faddist; they filter
reality through fantasy and the fantasy is what they purchase.
• Sevens with this subtype are often more explicitly narcissistic. • They tend to personalize their experiences, talk more about themselves and use the word “I” more than other subtypes.
• Can be tentative about commitments and have a wandering eye.
romanticize people outside their primary relationship as a way to avoid
the limits and boredom of mundane life with the same old someone.
• Can be more involved with their fantasy of their partner than with the real person.
• Intimate Sevens can easily move from relationship to relationship searching for the right person or an “all time high.”
• Sexual freebooters; Don Juan and Don Juaness patterns are possible.
• Some report having high expectations of their fantasized partner and being easily disillusioned.
intimate Sevens do stay in long term relationships. They may be
interested in the mysteries and vagaries of love as well as genuinely
love their partner.
• Can see the partner as several different people.
• Healthy Social Sevens are notably steady, practical and accountable to others.
• This subtype brings Sevens more conscience and follow-through.
extraverted, they can enjoy social celebrations, fine wine and good
food, storytelling, jokes, and travel, all with an obvious gusto.
can be unusually grounded and faithful in their responsibilities. They
are relatively at ease with their commitments and are often stable and
are sometimes motivated by idealism, serving something beyond
themselves. This subtype can have a stronger connection to One.
of group members; want every member to have a good time. If someone
causes trouble for the group, a Social Seven may react with a flash of
temper against the interloper or troublemaker.
• Can be generous, protective friends.
• Feel torn between their duty to others and a desire to escape.
• Tend to feel codependently responsible for people close to them but experience that as a confining burden.
• Can be highly irresponsible, overpromise and underdeliver.
number of Social Sevens are firstborns or come from a large family
where they were given a lot of responsibility and little guidance.
• Others recall having to compensate for codependent or unstable parents.
• Social Sevens sometimes resemble Sixes, because of their dutiful quality and their propensity for feeling guilty.
Sevens with an Eight wing tend to rebel against their sense of burden
and can sometimes act terse and angry toward those they feel burdened
Seven with a Six Wing
• Healthy Sevens with a Six wing are responsible, faithful, endearing, and funny.
• More accountable to others, oriented to relationships; loyal friends.
• Steady in their commitments as the Six wing brings a longer sense of time and more continuity to their perceptions.
• They often have more conscience, are hardworking and idealistic.
funny or enjoy a good laugh. An amazing number of comedians are Sevens
with this wing. The humor can have a playful, subversive quality.
• Can be openly vulnerable and have an unguarded, tender sweetness.
• Able to empathize with a wide range of people and experiences.
late bloomers. Some stall at the gate of adulthood, avoiding
expressions of their power or competence because they unconsciously
• Some have trouble expressing anger even when they have been wronged.
• Might exhibit some of the doubting, ambivalent qualities of a Six. Can have surprise episodes of anxious insecurity.
of authority figures but tend to evade or finesse them. Can be unduly
respectful towards traditions and authority structures.
• They can feel (neurotically) guilty more easily than Sevens with an Eight wing
have distinct paranoid streaks that they are blind to; their self-image
is of someone who is positive, forward-looking and adventuresome.
• Project their conscience onto others and then act irresponsibly; can display a frantic all-over-the-place mentality.
• Prone to codependence even to the point of enduring physical or mental abuse.
Seven with an Eight Wing
• Healthy Sevens with an Eight wing are often gregarious and expansive.
• Self-confident in worldly matters and have few qualms about getting what they want.
talented at creating something out of nothing – perhaps by inventing a
successful persona for themselves or by creating a thriving career by
accident after spontaneously seizing upon an opportunity.
materialistic. “Living well is the best revenge” is one possible motto
for this wing. In a hasty, rapacious hurry to get what they want.
• Loyal to their friends and can leap aggressively to their defense.
• Generous, often sharing what they have; want everyone in their orbit to enjoy their sense of bounty and range of interests.
• Sevens with an Eight wing are generally more kinesthetic and auditory and less consciously visual than Sevens with a Six wing.
• Can be demanding, impatient and self-centered.
• Thin-skinned; may require that the people in their lives candy-coat the truth, telling the Seven only what he wants to hear.
• Can be hypocritical – moralizing to others about behavior that they practice
have hair-trigger tempers and can suddenly erupt. Their anger may pass
just as quickly and the Seven then returns to a baseline of good cheer.
tend to age-regress, sometimes to a very young age. Can have the
quality of a small child stuck in the “terrible twos,” behaving like a
demanding toddler who wants instant gratification.
• They unconsciously anticipate being frustrated and deprived and preemptively strike against the possibility.
• Can grow delusional and grandiose; may love to hear themselves talk about big schemes that never come to pass.
Seven’s Connection to Five
connection to Five brings Sevens sobriety, perspective and the power to
integrate and internalize their experience – to digest what they have
• Helps Sevens become calm and detached, to see the Big Picture.
• More willing to accept the painful aspects of their experience; more likely to seek and find their own depths.
• An introverted need to spend time alone; may do this ritually or periodically.
• Sevens can also be bookish; may have distinct intellectual interests or embark on a search for philosophical wisdom.
Fiveish Sevens have an almost aesthetic distaste for excess. They
could, for instance, be offended by how much something costs.
Sevens tend to be naturally expansive and generous, they can have an
incongruous cheap streak. Could be frugal and then go on spending
• The connection to Five supports escapism, stinginess and depressive tendencies.
Sevens will check themselves out of difficult situations, withdrawing
into their minds like a Five. Intellectualize their feelings out of
• May detach from people and commitments with alarming speed.
Defensive vanishing acts; can skate away when things get tough.
• Prone to withdrawn depressions, especially as part of a cycle of highs and lows.
• May have trouble handling and expressing their emotions or be emotionally dry beneath their high spirits.
• More likely to have mental addictions – to information, ideas, fantasies. Defensively retreat into abstraction.
Seven’s Connection to One
• Helps Sevens make appropriate, worthwhile, comfortable commitments.
• Brings discipline and follow-through; Sevens do things well and work hard.
• Oneish Sevens are often idealistic and can sacrifice for a cause or principle.
• Solution focused; search for “win/win” outcomes to problems.
• Oneish discipline helps Sevens give their lives a stable form.
• Helps with appetite, brings restraint and self-control.
• Oneish Sevens are good at sober, balanced critical evaluation;
while they’re generous and sort for the positive they have a discerning,
• Can begin to confuse discipline with repression, build a jail
that they need to escape from, while blaming their confinement on
• Some can be critical and dogmatic with a perfectionistic streak.
• Might start to think in black and white; may become obsessive about detail.
• The connection to One can also bring self-criticism and an overactive conscience.
• Sevens who project their Oneness can see Ones as oppressive
symbols or foils. “They don’t want me to have fun.” May provoke
judgmental reactions in others.
• Can latch on to a Big Idea, a future possibility or principle
that the Seven is certain will resolve their present discomfort. The
deluded, obsessed mentality of a compulsive gambler; excuse themselves
from present responsibilities.
• Can be libertine in their youth and then adopt a pious,
conservative lifestyle as they age. Try to rein in their appetites with
rules and morality.
• Might be drawn to religious or ideological fundamentalism. Could be preachy and self-righteous.
• “Do as I say not as I do.” Hypocritical.
will notify you of new blog posts, upcoming product specials
as well as
new podcasts, workshops, CDs,
videos and books.